For guidance on maintaining continuity of research and sponsored program activities during the COVID-19 crisis, please see ORSP’s Keep Discovering page.

Engaging Students in Research

Programs for Engaging Students in Experiential Learning 

University guidelines limit the number of hours an undergraduate or graduate student may work to 25 hours in any given workweek (Monday – Sunday).    This limit does not apply to students participating in an a program that provides an educational experience as approved by the Student Experiential Program Review Board.  If your department does or would like to provide such an experiential learning opportunity for students, and would like the option to pay students for participating in this experiences, OR include high school students, OR both, then download and complete an Experiential Learning Program Request Form and submit via email to for consideration. 

Requests for programs where students will be paid are reviewed on the second Tuesday of each month by an Experiential Program Review Group made up of representatives of HR, ORSP, Financial Aid, Outreach, Provost's Office, Dean of the College of Liberal Arts, the University Research Board, and other faculty members. The Group's decisions and/or recommendations will communicated with the contact provided on the request form.  Unless otherwise noted, recognitions for programs expire each year; annual renewals are required.

Engaging High School Students in Research

The Rebel Research Scholars program is avaialble for supporting summer and academic year programs involving hosting high school students on campus. Please see the Resource Guide for Involving HIgh School Students in Research, the Rebel Research Scholars Toolkit/Flyer, and the Rebel Research Scholars Minors Supervision of Pllanning Form; the latter should be submitted to for review at least one month before the beginning of the proposed HS program.

Housing for Summer Undergraduate Research Participants Not Enrolled for Summer Credit at UM
The Department of Student Housing will provide campus housing accommodations for undergraduate experiential participants in UM summer research and creative scholarship programs, including participants who are not UM students and participants who are UM students, regardless of summer enrollment status.  Please see Housing for Summer Undergraduate Research Participants
Contact Information:
            Jason Hale, Director of Research Development (Office of Research and Sponsored Programs)

Links and Resources