Programs for Engaging Students in Experiential Learning
University guidelines limit the number of hours an undergraduate or graduate student may work to 25 hours in any given workweek (Monday – Sunday). This limit does not apply to students participating in an a program that provides an educational experience as approved by the Student Experiential Program Review Board. If your department does or would like to provide such an experiential learning opportunity for students, and would like the option to pay students for participating in this experiences, OR include high school students, OR both, then download and complete an Experiential Learning Program Request Form and submit via email to firstname.lastname@example.org for consideration.
Requests for programs where students will be paid are reviewed on the second Tuesday of each month by an Experiential Program Review Group made up of representatives of HR, ORSP, Financial Aid, Outreach, Provost's Office, Dean of the College of Liberal Arts, the University Research Board, and other faculty members. The Group's decisions and/or recommendations will communicated with the contact provided on the request form. Unless otherwise noted, recognitions for programs expire each year; annual renewals are required.
Paying UM Students
Providing Summer Research Experiences for Non-UM Students: GRAD 400 Research Internship Special Experience
Faculty members or departments wishing to provide a summer research experience for students from other institutions may work with Graduate Dean Annette Kluck to set up a variable-credit course in their department. Non-UM students can have their tuition scholarshipped for this experience. See attached example course syllabus.
Engaging High School Students in Research
The Rebel Research Scholars program is avaialble for supporting summer and academic year programs involving hosting high school students on campus. Please see the Resource Guide for Involving HIgh School Students in Research, the Rebel Research Scholars Toolkit/Flyer, and the Rebel Research Scholars Minors Supervision of Pllanning Form; the latter should be submitted to email@example.com for review at least one month before the beginning of the proposed HS program.
Links and Resources
- Creating High School and Undergraduate Research Experiences at UM: Tips and Resources (PPTX).
- Rebel Research Scholars Presentation (PPT), Feb 2018
- Rebel Resarch Scholars Tookit/Flyer (v4) (docx) April 2019
- The Resource Guide for Involving High School Students in Research (v9, PDF).
- Minors in University Labortories Fact Sheet: http://safety.olemiss.edu/wp-content/uploads/sites/142/2014/06/minors2015.pdf.
- University Supervision of Minors Policy: http://eorc.olemiss.edu/minors/.
- Experiential Learning Request Form: ExpLearningForm20190320.pdf.
- Housing for Summer Undergraduate Research Participants Not Enrolled for Summer Academic Credit at UM: Housing for Summer Undergraduate Research Participants