DOs and DON'Ts
- Submit an Animal Study Protocol Application form for all research and teaching using living vertebrates.
- Answer all questions, clearly describe procedures and experimental design, complete applicable appendices, contact the Attending Veterinarian, submit signed application ASAP, and plan for processing times.
- Submit the appropriate form (Preserved Animal Form) to the IACUC Coordinator if you use dead vertebrate animals for teaching or research.
- Submit protocols regardless of funding source and location of research.
- Submit protocols in the name of the faculty member.
- Complete species specific, safety and animal care training for PI/students/technical staff as part of the protocol submission process.
- Submit Occupational Health Evaluation and OHSP Risk Inventory forms for review and preventive health recommendations.
- Submit ANY protocol changes to the IACUC. Minor changes may only require documentation and approval while significant changes may require IACUC review.
- Submit annual progress reports.
- Submit a new application after three years have elapsed.
- Post whistle-blower information in your laboratory in the event that students, technicians, or other personnel have concerns regarding animal welfare.
- Post emergency contact information for research study.
- Post emergency procedures flyer in your laboratory in case of an unexpected occurrence that may threaten the safety of your laboratory animals.
- Post SOP for animal care in your laboratory.
- Post protocol approval letter.
- Remember to check the website for the most current forms.
- Don’t begin research before receiving an e-mailed approval letter.
- Don’t conduct surgery until mandatory training is completed in performance of surgical techniques in the procedure(s) and species indicated and observed by the Attending Veterinarian to receive a surgery proficiency certification.
- Don't order animals before the protocol is approved.
- Don't use jargon in your application.
Please contact the IACUC Research Compliance Specialist (RCS), Attending Veterinarian, or IACUC Chair with any questions —
- IACUC RCS
- Mary Jourdan, 213 Barr Hall
- Miranda Core, 212 Barr Hall
- x3929, email@example.com
- IACUC Chair
- Dr.Lawrence Shaffer
- Attending Veterinarian
- Dr. Harry Fyke, Animal Facility
- Interim Director of Research Integrity and Compliance
- Dr. Tom Lombardo, 215 Barr Hall;
- In Case of Emergency:
- Dr. Harry Fyke ~ (work) 915-5324, (clinic) 234-2928