Procedures for an Electronic Survey Study
- Send announcement and electronic link to listserv.
- Interested Ss take anonymous survey on the internet.
- Collect data electronically.
Procedures for a Memory Study
- Aim: To determine if memory is better for gossip information compared to non-gossip information.
- Recruit Ss by PSPM.
- Ss arrive at lab to read and sign consent form.
- Randomly assign Ss to gossip group.
- Have Ss read or rank information on computer.
- Give arithmetic distracter task.
- Give surprise free recall test.
Procedures for an Emotion Study
- Aim: To investigate the role of individual differences in emotion in the social cognition of aggressive children when they experience a frustrating situation.
- Screen 600 8-12 year-olds with classroom sociometrics.
- 3 experimental sessions in schools for the 120 most aggressive children:
- Two surveys (30 minutes)
- Peabody Vocabulary test and a test of understanding of feelings in other children (40 minutes)
- a: mood assessment, b: measure response to 4 stories about other children in social situations, c: timed frustrating puzzle task, d: mood assessment, e: measure response to 4 more stories.
Procedures for a Deception and Mood Study
- Ss (N = 2 - 4) arrive at lab
- Sign consent forms
- Read cover story (Appendix D, Part 1, p. 18)
- Random assignment to affiliation-type or achievement-type relationship
- “Random drawing” for moderator/interviewer (confederate always assigned as moderator/interviewer)
- Complete Trait Meta-Mood Scale and Emotional Intensity Scale
- Structured videotaped interview
- Rejection feedback to Ss
- Affect measures
- Implement regulation strategies (Exp. 1: reappraisal; Exp. 2: suppression)
- Second structured videotaped interview
- Affect measures
- Judges rate taped interviews
Procedures for an Exercise Science Study with DXA and Treadmill
- Aim: To define the gait characteristics that are associated with observed higher metabolic costs during walking for overweight compared to normal weight individuals.
- Recruit Ss by email.
- Phone screening for exclusion.
- Lab screening for exclusion.
- Two physical activity surveys.
- Walk across force plate 15 times.
- Treadmill with O2 uptake:
- At Ss ‘normal’ walking pace (determined by a pre-test)
- 25% higher than Ss ‘normal’ pace
- 25% lower than Ss ‘normal’ pace