We are expecting to submit a record number (13) NSF CAREER proposals in 2018. To make sure that we have time to review all of these proposals, please note and adhere to the following posted dates and deadlines.
Monday, 6/4/2018: Priority Date for letting ORSP know of your intentions to submit (and to which directorate) in 2018. Please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or contact your assigned ORSP Program Development Specialist to confirm your intentions.
• Also, Priority Date for requesting interactive or one-on-one proposal mentoring from ORSP Research Development Fellows (email@example.com).
◦ Mentoring from Research Development Fellows is guaranteed for requests received by this priority date.
◦ Mentoring requests received after the priority date will be considered on a first come, first served basis, as-time-permits
Tuesday, 6/5/2018: Priority Date for requesting an Enhanced Review of your narrative (Project Description and Summary)
• A thorough enhanced review is guaranteed for narratives submitted by this priority date. Enhanced reviews involve reading every word of the narrative, and providing feedback (including editorial suggestions) related to the grantsmanship aspects of the proposal; this is NOT a technical review.
• Enhanced reviews will be provided by the Director of Research Development and/or the Research Development Fellows
• Enhanced review requests received after the priority date will be considered on a first come, first served, basis, as time permits
• MS Word is the preferred format for drafts submitted for enhance review--tracked edits and comments will be provided for these.
• Drafts submitted in PDF format will not receive edits, but will receive hand written margin notes.
• Enhanced reviews will be completed/returned by Tuesday, 6/12/2018, for proposal drafts submitted for ehanced review by the Priority Date
Friday, 6/15/2018: Date by which Departmental (Chair's) Letter should be requested.
Monday, 6/18/2018: Last Date for requesting an Enhanced Review of your narrative (Project Description and Summary)
• Enhanced review requests received after the Priority Date but before the Last Date will be considered on a first come, first served, basis, as time permits. However, these proposals may not receive as much attention as those submitted by the Priority Date.
• Enhanced reviews will be completed/returned by Monday, 7/2/2018, for proposal drafts submitted for ehanced review by the Last Date
• Enanced review requests received after the Last Date may not be considered.
Friday, 6/29/2018: Date by which Departmental (Chair's) Letter should be completed.
Monday, 7/9/2018: ORSP online transmittal due date for NSF CAREER proposals (all directorates)
• ORSP will carefully review for correctness/compliance all proposal materials available for transmittals submitted by the transmittal due date.
• Transmittals received after the transmittal due date will be considered late. Late transmittals will be triaged and reviewed if and as time is available after all on-time transmittals have been reviewed.
• Priority will be given to on-time transmittals.
• Transmittals MUST include at a minimum by the transmittal due date, to be considered on-time:
◦ final/correct budget spreadsheet
◦ final/correct budget justification
◦ mature drafts of project description and project summary
◦ biographical sketch
◦ signed Departmental Letter
• The following documents SHOULD also be either included in the transmittal, or uploaded to NSF Fastlane, by this date as well, to provide adequate time for ORSP to review them.
◦ final Biographical Sketch(es) in NSF format
◦ signed letters of collaboration, if applicable, in the prescribed single-sentence format
◦ collaborators and other affiliations information
◦ references cited
◦ current and pending support
◦ facilities, equipment, and other resources document
◦ data management plan
◦ postdoctoral mentoring plan (if applicable)
◦ any other documents that you want ORSP to review
7/18/2018: NSF Due date for BIO, CISE, and EHR proposals
7/19/2018: NSF Due date for ENG proposals
7/20/2018: NSF Due date for GEO, MPS, and SBE proposals
The January 2018 version of the NSF Proposal and Award Policies & Procedure Guide (PAPPG) is in effect. See https://www.nsf.gov/publications/pub_summ.jsp?ods_key=papp
The 2018 CAREER Solicitation, NSF CAREER Webinar Slides, Webinar Recording, Frequently Asked Questions, and abstracts of previously funded awards are available at https://www.nsf.gov/funding/pgm_summ.jsp?pims_id=503214.
Proposers may want to consider participating in the ORSP Grant Mentorship Incentive Program.