Programs for Engaging Students in Experiential Learning
University guidelines limit the number of hours an undergraduate or graduate student may work to 25 hours in any given workweek (Monday – Sunday). This limit does not apply to students participating in an a program that provides an educational experience as approved by the Student Experiential Program Review Board. If your department does or would like to provide such an experiential learning opportunity for students, and would like the option to pay students for participating in this experiences, then download and complete a New Experiential Learning Program Request Form and submit via email to firstname.lastname@example.org for consideration. If a program you manage has already been approved for a previous year and you would like to offer the program again with minimal changes, you may instead submit a shorter Experiential Learning Program Renewal Form.
Requests are reviewed on the second Tuesday of each month by an Experiential Program Review Board, made up of representatives of HR, ORSP, Financial Aid, Outreach, Provost's Office, Dean of the College of Liberal Arts, the University Research Board, and other faculty members. The Program Review Board's decisions will be communicated with the contact provided on the request form. Annual reviews are required.
Engaging High School Students in Research
The Rebel Research Scholars program is avaialble for supporting summer and academic year programs involving hosting high school students on campus. Please see the Resource Guide for Involving HIgh School Students in Research, the Rebel Research Scholars Toolkit/Flyer, and the Rebel Research Scholars Minors Supervision of Pllanning Form; the latter should be submitted to RebelScholarsBoard@olemiss.edu for review at least one month before the beginning of the proposed HS program.
Links and Resources
- Creating High School and Undergraduate Research Experiences at UM: Tips and Resources (PPTX).
- Rebel Research Scholars Presentation (PPT), Feb 2018
- Rebel Resarch Scholars Tookit/Flyer (docx), Feb 2018
- The Resource Guide for Involving HIgh School Students in Research (v7) can be downloaded from http://research.olemiss.edu/sites/default/files/ResourceGuideforUMHighSchoolStudentResearch-v7.pdf. .
- The Rebel Research Scholars Minors Supervision Planning Form can be downloaded from http://research.olemiss.edu/sites/default/files/RebelResearchScholarsMinorSupervisionFormFillable.pdf.
- Minors in University Labortories Fact Sheet: http://safety.olemiss.edu/wp-content/uploads/sites/142/2014/06/minors2015.pdf.
- Univesity Supervision of Minors Policy: http://eorc.olemiss.edu/minors/.