Programs for Engaging Students in Research
University guidelines limit the number of hours an undergraduate or graduate student may work to 25 hours in any given workweek (Monday – Sunday). Exceptions may be permitted when students participate in a program that provides an educational experience as approved by the Student Program Review Board. If you believe your department offers this type opportunity, then please download and complete the Student Program Request Form and submit via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Requests are reviewed on the second Tuesday of each month by a Student Program Review Board, made up of representatives of HR, ORSP, Financial Aid, Outreach, Student Affairs, the University Research Board, and other faculty members. The Program Review Board's decisions will be communicated with the contact provided on the request form. Annual reviews are required.
Links and Resources
- Creating High School and Undergraduate Research Experiences at UM: Tips and Resources (PPTX).
- The High School Research Credit Flowchart can be downloaded from http://research.olemiss.edu/sites/default/files/HSstudentresearchcreditFlowChart.pdf.
- The Resource Guide for Involving HIgh School Students in Research can be downloaded from http://research.olemiss.edu/sites/default/files/ResourceGuideforUMHighSchoolStudentResearch-v5.pdf.
- Minors in University Labortories Fact Sheet: http://safety.olemiss.edu/wp-content/uploads/sites/142/2014/06/minors2015.pdf.
- Univesity Supervision of Minors Policy: http://eorc.olemiss.edu/minors/.