Changes in NIGMS Support of Academic Research Enhancement Award (R15) Grants in the Basic Biomedical Sciences
After May 7, 2018, the National Institute for General Medical Sciences will no longer accept R15 Academic Research Enhancement Award (AREA) applications under the NIH Parent R15 Funding Opportunity Announcement (FOA) PA-18-504
All R15 applications for NIGMS support must be submitted to PAR-18-714 "Academic Research Enhancement Award for Undergraduate-Focused Institutions".
What does this change mean for UM-Oxford Campus R15 applications?
- This change ONLY pertains to R15 applications made to NIGMS. Other NIH Institutes and Centers still accept R15 applications under the Parent R15 FOA PA-18-504. As always, please confirm that the Institute or Center you wish to target is participating in the FOA you are interested in.
- UM-Oxford Campus may still submit R15s to NIGMS under certain conditions.
What are the conditions that allow for submission of an R15 to NIGMS?
- Institutional eligibility is limited to undergraduate-focused institutions or academic components within an institution in which the undergraduate student enrollment is greater than the graduate student enrollment. The research team must be composed primarily of undergraduate students.
- At the time of application submission, all the non-health professional components of the institution together must not have received support from the NIH totaling more than $6 million per year (in both direct and F&A/indirect costs) in 4 of the last 7 years. All types of Health Professional Schools are ineligible to apply and are not considered in this calculation.
- A signed letter is required from the Provost or similar official with institution-wide responsibility verifying the eligibility of the applicant institution at the time of application submission according to the eligibility criteria. The "List of Ineligible Institutions" associated with the Parent announcement does not apply to the NIGMS R15 FOA.
Who at UM-Oxford Campus may apply for an R15 from NIGMS?
- Currently, the UM School of Pharmacy is not eligible to submit R15 applications to NIGMS, due to the restriction on submissions from Health Professional Schools
- However, other UM-Oxford Campus Colleges and Schools (e.g. College of Liberal Arts, School of Applied Sciences, School of Engineering, and others) are eligible to submit R15 applications to NIGMS, as academic components within an institution in which the undergraduate student enrollment is greater than the graduate student enrollment.
ORSP PROCEDURAL STEPS for submitting R15 applications to NIGMS
Please contact your Program Development Specialist AT LEAST 3 WEEKS IN ADVANCE of the submission deadline if you plan to submit an R15 application to NIGMS, so that can coordinate the required institutional letter verifying eligibility of the proposing unit