PDF Version of this Announcement (cleaner): http://research.olemiss.edu/sites/default/files/ORSP-Announce-GoMRI-RFP-VI-v1.pdf
Gulf of Mexico Research Initiative
Request for Proposals (RFP-VI)
GoMRI RFP-VI seeks proposals from: 1) Individual Investigators or Collaborative Efforts involving a principal investigator (PI) and up to three co-principal investigators (co-PIs) (hereafter collectively termed Individual Investigator) or 2) Research Consortia, defined as a contractual arrangement between a Consortium Director and co-PIs at three or more institutions.
Key Dates (2016-20):
October 3, 2016 RFP-VI Released
Thursday, Nov. 10, noon Transmittal and letter of Intent to ORSP
Monday, Nov. 14, 4:00pm Central Required letter of Intent due to Sponsor
Friday, Feb 17, 2017, 4:00 pm Central Last day to submit questions to GoMRI
Monday, Feb 27, 9am Central Full Proposal and transmittal due to ORSP
Friday, March 3, 2017 4:00pm Central Full Proposal due to Sponsor
September 2017 Award Announcement
January 1, 2018 Award Start Date
December 31, 2019 Award End Date
June 30, 2020 No Cost Extension Deadline
Indirect Costs: Full indirect cost recovery is allowed.
RFP-VI will fund activities for two years. The total funds available for distribution through the 2018-2019 GoMRI RFP will be approximately $32.5 million per year. For each approved proposal, the maximum annual funding for each Individual Investigator will be $500,000 per year and for each Research Consortium will be $3 million per year. The GoMRI Research Board anticipates funding 15-20 Individual Investigator and 8-10 Research Consortium awards, based on the quality of the proposals received.
The RFP-VI will focus on the five GoMRI Research Themes:
1. Physical distribution, dispersion, and dilution of petroleum (oil and gas), its constituents, and associated contaminants (e.g., dispersants) under the action of physical oceanographic processes, air–sea interactions, and tropical storms.
2. Chemical evolution and biological degradation of the petroleum/dispersant system and subsequent interaction with coastal, open-ocean, and deep-water ecosystems.
3. Environmental effects of the petroleum/dispersant system on the sea floor, water column, coastal waters, beach sediments, wetlands, marshes, and organisms; and the science of ecosystem recovery.
4. Technology developments for improved response, mitigation, detection, characterization, and remediation associated with oil spills and gas releases.
5. Impact of oil spills on public health including behavioral, socioeconomic, environmental risk assessment, community capacity, and other population health considerations and issues.
Proposals may address one or multiple themes. Every proposal must also provide an estimate of the percentage of effort devoted to each theme, rounded to 5%.
In addition, this RFP calls for submissions that may include:
· Continuation of previously designated research themes and topics that have emerged;
· Data integration from various sources;
· Scientific synthesis across themes and consortia; and/or
· Other overarching scientific and technological products exploiting the GoMRI scientific legacy.
All proposals submitted in response to RFP-VI will be treated as new efforts and consideration will be given to all proposals that demonstrate research knowledge relevant to the Gulf. Each proposal should clearly describe how the proposed research will serve to accomplish the long-term goals of the GoMRI. The GoMRI Research Board encourages potential applicants to consider focusing on their strengths, rather than attempting to cover all research themes included in the RFP.
Requests for clarification of RFP-VI must be submitted via the GoMRI website: http://gulfresearchinitiative.org/faq-rfpVI/. Questions will not be accepted via phone or direct email to any GoMRI-affiliated group. Please review the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) posted on the website before submitting a question. This will be updated regularly with responses to all submitted questions. The deadline for submission of questions is Friday, February 17, 2017 at 5:00pm Eastern/ 4:00pm Central Time. Any additional pertinent information, including clarification, additions, deletions or other changes to the RFP, will be posted on the GoMRI website and forwarded to the single designated point of contact for all prospective PIs and Consortia Directors as identified in their letter of intent. Any changes to RFP-VI will be made no later than Friday, February 17, 2017 (two weeks before deadline).
An individual can be the PI or Consortium Director of only one submitted proposal to this RFP and only involved in up to three submitted proposals in any capacity (e.g, PI, Consortium Director, co-PI, collaborator, etc.). If an individual appears on multiple proposals, this should be clearly noted in the List of Participants and in Current and Pending Support; in each proposal, a clear description should be included to explain how the proposed work is complementary, not duplicative, of other proposed efforts and how the participant will budget his or her time. Should an individual be the PI or Consortium Director on more than one proposal, or should an individual appear on four or more proposals, all proposals involving the individual will be disqualified. No individual should therefore be included without their explicit consent. It is the responsibility of the submitters to confirm that each member of the entire team is within the eligibility guidelines.