As announced in Chancellor Vitter’s Investiture address, the UM Flagship Constellations Initiative is designed to bring together a wide range of faculty to address some of the most difficult and complex problems facing our nation and world. Goals of the UM Flagship Constellations are to:
- Encourage the growth of cross-disciplinary research and creative achievement communities at UM to solve key, grand challenges where UM can play a leadership role;
- Facilitate successful comprehensive proposals for extramural funding and partnerships;
- Recruit and retain top talent at UM in faculty, staff, and graduate students;
- Provide connection points for the private sector resulting in increased technology and economic development.
UM is soliciting faculty input to establish themes for constellations through an internal proposal process. Groups of faculty interested in proposing constellation themes must use a proposal form which can be downloaded here https://olemiss.box.com/s/mqwbt22t1xa7tf0a5l4ylh3crnxil863.
January 12 Q&A Townhall on the Jackson UMMC campus
January 19 Q&A Townhall on the Oxford campus
- Chancellor's opening remarks available online at http://chancellor.olemiss.edu/flagship-constellation-initiative-town-halls/.
- Video of entire Oxford Townhall meeting including Q&A available online here
January 27 Priority date for submitting Letters of Intent due to email@example.com (49 LOIs have been received!)
February Three FC Information Sharing Sessions were held. The schedule, PPT Slides for these presentations, and the links to the video records, are available online for UM employees here: https://olemiss.box.com/s/4opdmqhd31y7kyd7icafv3kzalkqiv1w. UMMC employees may access them by e-mailing Whitney Bondurant at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- February 15 Information Sharing Session on 3 Meta Themes: Education and Communication; Culture and Society; Government and Policy. 2PM Inn at Ole Miss.
- February 20 Health and Wellness; Medicine and Disease; Community and Population Health. 2pm Inn at Ole Miss
- February 27 Big Data/Analytics; Environment and Naturual Resources; 2pm Inn at Ole Miss
March 24 Constellation proposals due at InfoReady Review Portal: https://olemiss.infoready4.com.
April 3 Deadline for Deans to Approve/Recommend and make Comments on proposals, and recommended reviewers for FC Review Committee
April Review process by FC Review Committee and Exectivive Review Team
Late Spring Anticipated announcement of Constellation selections
The Letter of Intent (1 page maximum) should include: (a) a tentative constellation theme title, (b) brief description of the theme, (c) tentative list of departments, schools or colleges included under the constellation and in what capacity, and (d) a single point of contact.
Questions about the proposal process or vision can be sent to Josh Gladden (email@example.com) or Noel Wilkin (firstname.lastname@example.org). Medical Center faculty may wish to contact Richard Summers (email@example.com).
UM Oxford employees and students can access the titles and main contacts for the letters of intent that were submitted by January 27 by clicking here. UMMC employees should contact Whitney Bondurant (firstname.lastname@example.org).