The Society for the Humanities at Cornell University invites applications for residential fellowships from scholars whose research projects reflect on the 2019-20 theme of ENERGY. Six to eight Fellows will be appointed. The fellowships are held for one academic year. Each Society Fellow will receive $50,000.
Fellows will collaborate with the Taylor Family Director of the Society for the Humanities, Paul Fleming, Professor of Comparative Literature and German Studies. Fellows spend their time in research and writing, participate in the weekly Fellows Seminar, and offer one course related to their research. Courses should be related to the focal theme, and appropriate for graduate students and advanced undergraduates. Fellows are encouraged to explore topics they would not normally teach and, in general, to experiment freely with both the content and the method of their courses.
Qualifications: Fellows should be working on topics related to the 2019-20 focal theme, ENERGY. Their approach to the humanities should be broad enough to appeal to students and scholars in several humanistic disciplines. Applicants must have received the Ph.D. degree before January 1, 2018. Applicants must also have one or more years of teaching experience, which may include teaching as a graduate student.
- At least 33% of the stipend will be paid directly to the fellow as payroll by Cornell the semester they teach; fellow may choose to have the remainder distributed as salary by UM
- If applicants which to have their benefits continued and paid by the department/school during fellowship, they should have those conversations with their Chair/Dean will in advance of the application, and document those arrangements in the ORSP transmittal
- Similarly, any salary "top-offs" should be negotiated with the Chair prior to application, and agreements documented in the ORSP transmittal.
- Fellowships run one full calendar year, August 1 - July 31
- Fellows are expected to be in residence during the academic year, not the full calendar year
9/24/2018: Transmittal due to ORSP
10/2/3018: Application and letters of recommendation due to sponsor (faculty/applicant submits application via portal)
12/??/2018: Fellowships Announced
8/1/2019: Fellowships Begin
7/31/2020: Fellowships End
See https://societyhumanities.as.cornell.edu/society-fellowships for more detailed information and instructions.